Sunday 8 May 2011

Bubble Teas


It's an old drink to the Oriental point of view, I remember drinking the stuff ages ago when I was a kid in HK, probably in the early 2000s.

Now the trend has finally come round to the Westerner's taste buds

Already there are a lot of eateries in Chinatown selling the product, HK Diner, Cafe de Hong Kong,  Candy cafe, another popular spot for HK snacks and drinks, the owner is also opening 2 more cafes this year bigger than Candy. There's also a bubble tea shop, Chaboba Bubble Tea on Shaftesbury Avenue this company's even got a store in Camden and has been promoting via the Metro paper, but I've heard it's not as nice; then finally there's another bubble tea shop called Bubbleology in Soho opened this month.

I know Bubbleology have the drink with the fruit pearls instead of tapioca pearls but didn't see it on the menu, as I tried a sample @ the Excel food fair few months ago (-_-) However they do make good Crumpets/ muffins aka Cruffins!

£3.75 for a bubble tea I suppose is kind of bog standard for UK but compared to HK $10 a quid, for the drink, then again it's more common over there that UK.

So I suppose this is the new refreshing drink for the summer! However the milk flavoured teas are very rich and can be a bit sickly compared to the clearer flavoured tea that is more refreshing for the pallet!

I miss HK Street food - cheap with a wide variety!

No comments:

Post a Comment