Sunday 29 May 2011

Anime Expo at Excel





Telling a few friends I want going to this anime expo, friends were asking whether I was going to make effort to dress up?? I wasn't really sure yet but to be honest I'm crap at trying to find a costume at sort notice- only had a week.

So I decided my fashion self can dress in Gothic Lolita inspired with styling at hand. So dressed in my Religion dress, Kurt Geiger studded boots, Vivienne Westwood armor ring and my art of doing make up. Overall wasn't too bad, made some effort but did blend.

I found it was strange not seeing that many people dressed in Cosplay, that was when I hit Canning Town. I couldn't believe how keen some of these people were; there was a LONG queue to get into the Venue! Fortunately my friends were there 30mins before me, so yeah I Queue jumped half the line to get to them, had a few eyes glaring at me & got annoyed with the groups sat on the floor making me struggle finding a clear step!

Some people did go all out in their costumes, some were really fantastically dressed making so much effort, one guy I had a photo with spend 2 months making his costume out of cardboard and fibre glass. A lot of kids dressed up, advertising free hugs.... Serious trend of that at this event. 

This venue is pretty much a fun place where everyone gathers and dresses up Cosplay and doesn't get stared at in an odd way (^_−)−

There was so many things that were happening not just Anime, there were The American comics film animations on display and talks, gaming section, toys, clothing, weapons.... And wresting which was different but sounded scary when the wrestlers were slamming each other in the ring, sounded harsh!! 

There's a lot of diff sub cultures including something new I've discovered which is Steampunk. 


Influenced by Victorian times with the perspective of inventions and Science fiction. Thanks to the likes of literature from H.G Wells' Time Machine and Captain Nemo from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Come to think of it Steampunk is around us quite a bit, especially in Final Fantasy, their costumes and forms of transportation hits the nail on the head!

Must own a pair of goggles if you want to be part of the Steam Punk movement I wouldn't mind donning a pair! (-) I do really admire the dress sense of this scene coming to think about it, I didn't realize this is what the trend is called surprised to hear even Take That were dressed in SteamPunk styled clothing for their MV, Kids




No comments:

Post a Comment