Sunday 9 January 2011

Ice Music @ Somerset House



I had been reading in the newspapers this week about this event happening at Somerset House, so I thought why not check it out, as I was intrigued it looked quite interesting.

This was only happening for three days in London; Norwegian Artist called Terje Insunget created music out of pieces of ice including making an ice trumpet out of 300 year old ice. He has been working on this project for around 10 years now and touring the world enlightening people with the Norwegian music.

I went to see the film installation first called ‘The Idea of the North” showing beautiful snowy landscapes and music played with the ice instruments, I felt this was very moving and felt I escaped to Narina. Unfortunately the tickets were sold out to see the performance live, but I decided to listen outside the igloo tent, as I was curious to see what the instruments were like.

The music was very moving with the haunting female vocals, chiming, drumming, and crunching sounds all from instruments made out of ice it was so fascinating, mysterious and seem so clever making music out of natural resources

I really enjoyed the performance though it only lasted 30min, since the instruments were made of ice, save them warming up and melting. Despite listening from outside the tent fortunately I was still able to hear the music from outside- well save me £7! Haha!

Check out these video links to see and hear what it was like


No comments:

Post a Comment