Tuesday 20 December 2011

The Experimental Cocktail Club



I received an invite to this gathering 3weeks in advance. I was so confused but intrigued.
Confused because my this was quite an unusual group of us, though the organizer does know the other friends from doing a walk in the Peak District at the end of Summer, but I generally knew them from different circles.

Intrigued because this bar sounded very interesting and hidden in Chinatown, out of all the places.
As June and I were early we were trying to find the bar I remembered the number of the building so we were searching for that door. I instantly recognized the door from the website.

As we went up the stairs into the bar, it was such a quiet relaxed environment; the staff welcomed us and took us to our booked table. I was really loving the Speak easy vibe of the bar dimly lit and playing classical music across 2 floors, however they only kept to the 1st floor, 2nd floor leading to toilets was closed/empty. Who knew above Chinatown there was such a bar such a contrast! The majority of the customers were Caucasian, my friends and I were the only Oriental group. The cocktails had some very interesting names, “Winne the Pooh”, something blank. The prices of the cocktails were about £11-11.50, shame there was only 2 pages of cocktails and the flavors were quite sweet to sour or bitter.

One of my friends chose a cocktail which came in a medicine bottle, pretty interesting, but did have a bit of a medicinal after taste to it >.<" Mine tasted sour and had grapefruit zest in it, another friend had one that had absinthe in! Pretty strong cocktails that are definitely sipping only than gulping!
  


But we all enjoyed the gathering playing Trivial Pursuit (other boardgames to play also available), and drinking, very chilled for a Sunday, but usually I don’t drink on a Sunday, just a personal don’t do but since it was Christmas and a belated treat from my friends why not ^.^  

Definitely recommend people giving this place a try to escape Chinatown hustle and bustle and unwind to a relaxed environment. Just need a fireplace!

http://experimentalcocktailclublondon.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment