Tuesday 3 April 2012

Jazz, Blues and Rock ‘n’ Roll



It started out last Sunday when spontaneously a friend of mine asked whether I was up for lunch at Ronnie Scott’s in Soho for her birthday as there was a spare ticket. I didn’t bat an eyelid to say no to the opportunity!! Very spontaneous, fortunately I was up from an evening out the night before and the clocks rolled forward!!

Was quite interesting and different in a good way to attend a Sunday lunch event in a Jazz Club; the venue is very dark, cozy and intimate plus the tickets are cheaper compared to a Friday or Saturday night (yay!).  Elaine Delmar with Brian Dee’s Quartet was the act for the afternoon; her voice is amazing, and easy listening. A very impressive songstress for 73 years old!

Near the end Elaine actually forgot the words to a song and shouted, “oh shit!!” absolute lol though I suppose accidents happen to the best of us! Fortunately there were no kids! This was my first time attending to a live Jazz gig, and personally I prefer the more up tempo tunes, the more slow soulful numbers were too smooth, I was drifting >.<


Next was Saturday night just gone, my good friend Mimi came down to London for the weekend. She wanted to go to a Jazz venue, I told her that these kind of venues are very niche and involve tickets in advanced for the gig, there aren’t many pop in sit in venues, (well I haven’t found any yet). I suggested this Blues club I keep passing on the way to work in Camden called The Blues Kitchen.

We went in with an open mind, only £5 entry after 9pm, which I find is quite reasonable, there’s a live band that plays covers, and DJ playing a mix of Blues, Soul and Rock “n” Roll. It was very fun, we all had a good time, drinks were not extortionate compared to Mayfair and good deal they had, Jagerbombs 3 for £10, Happy days!!! ^.^

Dancing the night away, with an eclectic mix of people and doing the twist, though Mimi said I danced like a Hamster (-.-“) oh well, I was having fun!! I was impressed with the band, with their lead guitarists rift solos and the Jazz player; very talented bunch



I would definitely recommend this place as a somewhere different away from the typical clubbing scene, a bit more relaxed and cheaper on the wallet!

No comments:

Post a Comment